Monday, October 14, 2019

I Went to WWE Event and My Sign Became Viral

WWE tour stopped in Odessa on Saturday for house show. I got good floor seats for event as well floating bunch of sign ideas. Why bring signs to house show? It's the interaction the wrestlers have with the fans. It makes you part of the show as they get away with lot of stuff on tour shows than televised shows. In 2004 I had JBL point at my sign as he made his way to the ring that read "JBL For President." In 2006 I had Sharmell pointing at my sign with her mouth happily wide open that read "Booker T = Batista Killer" based on locker room fight they had. Booker even made mention of the fight in his pre-match promo without mention Batista's name. I thought of potential sign ideas weeks before the event. I already settle on "Father of Maria Kanellis Baby" with arrows pointing at me. It took day of the show to come up with sign ideas. This isn't a brand show it was Supershow with wrestlers combined from both RAW and Smackdown roster. They can advertise who's coming but things change. Braun Strowman was advertised for the show but didn't appear.
On day of the show I got there early hanging around the back and getting a picture taken with referee Charles Robinson. Slowly few wrestlers drove up such as Rowan, Baron Corbin, and Viking Raiders. Knowing Viking Raiders going be appearing I immediately created a sign that read, "West TX is War!!! Viking Raiders" with the name original names of Ray "Death" Rowe (now Erik) and Hanson (now Ivar).  War part is a nod to their original name War Raiders and previously in the indies War Machine. Then there was third sign which became a whole different story and will mention later on.
The host went, "Really? Are you sure?" when I held up "Father of Maria Kanellis Baby" sign before it started. Show started with Viking Raiders taking on Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows. Viking Raiders pointed at my sign as I held it up high. They went on to defeat The O.C. Shinsuke Nakamura with Sami Zayn successfully defended U.S. title from Ali. Zayn gave Ali the helluva kick after the match. The New Day and The Revival battled for tag team titles. The New Day got the crowd behind them as they threw out pancakes to the crowd while The Revival get booed out just for hugging each other. The Revival eek out the win successfully defending tag team titles. Roman Reigns duke it out with Erick Rowan which included interference from Luke Harper. Reigns finish Rowan off with third Superman punch, The show head to intermission afterwards.
After the intermission King Baron Corbin demands the ref make him the winner after he attacked out Chad Gable earlier tonight. Gable came out and wants to fight. Remember I mention about fan interaction between the wrestler and the fans at house show? Corbin yelled at me for chanting "GABLE!" during the match which is pretty awesome. Gable picked up the victory over Corbin.
Here's the story of the third sign I had that end up being viral. Next match featured newly crowned Smackdown women champion Bayley who won the belt against Charlotte. She showed up with a changed look, popped the inflatables (and making a kid cry), and went full blown heel telling the fans to screw ourselves. After the show ended I knew I got to make anti-Bayley sign but what should I put? After few thoughts include lame ones like "Bayley Hates Me" I decide call back to her post match promo. Since she told the fans to screw ourselves I hit back with "Screw You Too Bayley" sign. Meaning was since you don't like us then we don't like you too type. Little did I know is how impromptu and interactive the verbal exchange between me and her. She debut to new music as she walked down to the ring when she said saw the sign and yelled, "Why screw me?" I responded back with you told us to screw ourselves and making kids cry. She got the security take my sign, handed it to her and ripped in half. I got fist pumps from fans around me for the sign and interaction. During the match Bayley yelled at me and gave me death stares. I will get back to this later on how it became viral.
Bayley took on Charlotte in a good match til Tamina came in and attacked Charlotte causing a DQ finish. Becky Lynch hit the ring and made it a tag team match between Becky/Charlotte and Bayley/Tamina. Becky and Charlotte got the victory after making both of them tap out.
The main event as Seth Rollins took on Bray Wyatt. The match was short with Rollins winning via DQ after Wyatt put mandible claw on the ref. Rollins continues his onslaught on curb stomp only to get subdue when Wyatt put the mandible claw on him. The show ends and I felt this match should have been suited before the intermission. Put Roman and Rowan match on last to send the fans home happy.
I enjoyed the show and had fun as I cheered and jeered wrestlers, waved signs, and got up and personal with certain ones. I will end this on viral part of my sign.

Once I got back home from the show pictures of Bayley and my "Screw You Too Bayley" sign surfaced on reddit and twitter. Even Bayley media twitter page made mention of it including video of her tearing the sign. I didn't expect to it blow up around wrestling circles. If it gives power of heel Bayley I'm glad to help in that part as a fan.

Here are the reddit links to the sign:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/dh4zk0/pic_of_bayley_at_a_house_show_tonight/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/dh5igf/bayley_ripped_the_sign_at_the_house_show

Twitter video of her ripping the sign:
https://twitter.com/BayleyPamBayley/status/1183338841018486784

2 comments:

  1. Very cool to be officially part of the show. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly I don't know who most of these current wrestlers are, but it sure sounds like you had a good, and productive, time! You got some really great photos too, which is pretty impressive considering how low the lighting looks.

    ReplyDelete