Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Quake From 30 Years Ago

This 1990 Score baseball card immortalized event that took place 30 years on this date. I still remember it so vividly watching entire thing unfold on TV. I was 8 at the time getting ready to watch game 3 of World Series between Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants. Dubbed the Bay Bridge Series both cities separated by 5 mile bridge across the bay. A's took first two games at home and it across the bridge to Candlestick for games 3 and 4. Just as festivities about to start disaster struck as major earthquake shook the area including the stadium. TV feed was lost only to be restored minutes later. Outside the stadium it was carnage as buildings and highways collapsed and fires from ruptured gas lines raged. The game no longer mattered as TV crews focused of damages and loss of life in front of the viewers. I was glued on the screen as live helicopter shots showed section of upper part of Bay Bridge collapse down to lower level. With TV stations focused around San Francisco and Bay Bridge I didn't know about collapse of Cypress Freeway in Oakland. I found out about it watching a documentary of the earthquake (which I forgotten the name) I saw 10-15 years later on a movie channel. Another importance I have relatives living in Oakland (and still do to this day). I remember being scared for them. After hours passed my dad got a hold of my great aunt and great uncle revealing they along everyone else is okay leaving entire the family relieved. They were at home when the quake happened. That moment was re-lived 5 years ago with ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called "The Day The Series Stopped."

The World Series would resume on October 27 with A's taking 2 games at Candlestick in sweeping the Giants. At the time it was longest end date to World Series. It was only World Series victory for A's in their three straight appearances from 88-90 which included stacked lineup of Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, Dave Henderson, Terry Steinbach, Dave Stewart, and Dennis Eckersley. I still remember game 3 for being homerun fest. Not much of celebration at the end due to the earthquake and causalities around of surrounding Bay Area. It was one of the memories etched in my mind while growing up.

Some things changed or stayed the same during those 30 years. Bash Brothers were no more, potential A's dynasty never materialized and despite many attempts for new one, A's still play in that shit stadium that been renamed many times that I'll just call it Oakland-Alameda. Giants landed Barry Bonds from Pittsburgh and bashed many homeruns. They left Candlestick for ATT Park located just few miles south of 80. Giants would have small dynasty with 3 World Series championships starting 2010. Both my great aunt and great uncle still living at the same house in Oakland along uncle who never launched out unlike three others.

EDIT: Another blogger point of view of Loma Prieta earthquake as he was living there when it hit head to Fuji's post at The Chronicles of Fuji.

1 comment:

  1. Always cool to read another person's point of view on the quake. Now I've gotta see if I can find that 30 for 30 documentary online.

    ReplyDelete