Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Hockey Card Stories 2

After reading the first book (you can it buy here) and I wanted more. What book can talk about stories of the player's hockey cards and be rolling in laughter of Steve Larmar and Steve Ludzik photo mix up or poor Bryan Maxwell had three cards but only one of them has his mug? Ken Reid delivers another with Hockey Card Stories 2 with forewords from Penguins All-Star Sidney Crosby and Upper Deck's Chris Carlin.

Released last year I finally got my hands on a copy. When the first five words of the first chapter starts out, "I hate that friggin card" I knew I was in for good read. You got some excellent behind the scene stories featuring Terry Toporowski Ultimate Draft Pick card (spoiler: it's not him), Rick Vaive extra hair airbrush, Olaf Kolzig hot dog pic, Dino Ciccarelli feeding a rhino to name a few.

Cam Russell was originally about his 1990 Score card til Russell showed his minor league card and it became a story about it.

Who doesn't love uncorrected error cards? When I look at the ones Reid mentioned I wonder how they made it to print like a slapping a Canucks player on Joel Otto's Calgary Flames card. Interesting note Joel Otto DOES SIGN that card.

There's a story behind the poses, airbrushes, styles back in the day, and rookie cards with a few getting at least one official NHL card with most remembering where and when it was taken. Another thing Reid would make note is the equipment the player's use from helmet to stick as reminiscence to his past playing days

It's a must read for any sport card collector even if you are not a fan of hockey.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of these. Next time I get some B&N gift cards, I'll know what to buy.

    ReplyDelete