Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Retail Markups.......at LCS

I had my yearly checkup yesterday. Since the local card shop was nearby I stopped by to pick up a few supplies. While there I noticed a shelf rack of cards. The cards were retail packs, hanger, and blaster boxes of their year's baseball set from their flagship to Heritage and Archives as well few Panini football stuff. They were marked up by 20-30%. What was selling at places such as Target and Walmart for $3, $10, and $20 now at LCS for $5 (packs), $30 (hanger), and $35 (blaster). Feels like the shop owner went to retail stores and bought all the supplies to resale at mark up prices at his shop. Was dishearten by it and made me saw the future of the hobby. While the pandemic drove up interest it also caused greed for demand of it. Every visit to Target or Walmart the shelves still sat bare and empty while gaming cards are plenty. Not sure how's its going be with companies. They might printed up few extra thousands in upcoming year to keep up with demand. It's possible the next junk wax era is coming.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kinda glad I have a nice pack/box stash and don't really care if my Target shelves are empty. That being said... I'd be pissed if I saw the owner of my LCS shopping at Target and buying up all of the retail to flip.

    ReplyDelete