Thursday, June 16, 2022

Re-living My Youth Through Music

Getting old sucks. Settings, tastes, trends, and excuses changed, body parts don't work the way it used to, things I used to enjoy no longer enjoyable, and daily life is ever-changing so quick in a nanosecond I can't keep up fast enough. No matter how hard I look forward I go back into those reflective days of "Yeah things were better way back then." Music is no different. I still have my CD album collection and once in a while I would pop one in to listen wondering if it still sounds good to this day. When tickets to Everclear 30th Anniversary tour went on sale last month I immediately bought a ticket to it. Funny thing I never owned Everclear album to this day, but I remember their songs of Santa Monica, Everything to Everyone, and A.M. Radio. Their songs were played on the radio or MTV's dying years of music videos. I'm sure we all heard at least a song from them once. Supporting them are The Nixons, who I remember for their hit song Sister, and Fastball, who I will remember for The Way as well owning their debut album All the Pain Money Can Buy. I grew up in the 90s heyday of alternative rock. Time to re-live their music live in person.

The day of the show was on Tuesday in Odessa. On the day of the show the city of Odessa hit with a disaster when a main water line broke leaving the city with no water for a good two days. The concert was in limbo til the venue announced in the afternoon it will go on. Off to The Ector Theatre I go. When I got there I realize most of the crowd were like me: mid-30s to their 50s. Even few brought their teenage kids to the show. Can't beat re-living the music you grew up to and have your next generation kin enjoy it.

The Nixons started out with a 30 minute set which included Baton Rouge, their new single Kaleidoscope, cover of Elton John's Rocket Man, and finishing with their big hit Sister. Met the band after their set while Fastball was setting up theirs. Purchased their newest EP album Kaleidoscope and got three of the four members to sign the sleeve as well getting my picture taken with guitarist Jesse Davis.


Up next is Fastball and they started with Fire Escape. They were way off on the song but built back up and played well on the remaining set with Outta of My Head, You're An Ocean, and The Way. Tony Scalzo looked impressive playing the guitar. Their set ended with a cover of Z.Z. Top - Thunderbird.

Then the main band of the show Everclear. Only founder and singer Art Alexakis is the original member of the current incarnation of the group. I got in the pit and up close before their set started. They came on playing their hits as how it should be. Got the groove and getting lost in their music rocking, moshing, swaying, jumping, and dancing with a random woman. The set ended with their breakthrough hit Santa Monica.

I had a fun time and for a few hours I feel very young and wonderful again. The next day I go back to reality and watch the world die. Yeah.

Enjoy the video footage I shot. Yeah.


No comments:

Post a Comment