Sunday, August 2, 2020

Cereal Box Collection

Few weeks ago Fuji obtained Tony Gwynn chocolate bar for his player collection. Outside of candy the most notable food items for collectors are cereal. I have few cardboard boxes of cereal in my collection. It's not from Wheaties who are well known to put a picture of athlete on the box cover such as Michael Jordan. It's from Kellogg's who came with several auto racing related box covers. Kellogg's came out with Vrooms in late 2012.
They were Target exclusives as they sponsored both Chip Ganassi Indycar and NASCAR team at the time. Also on are Dario Franchitti and Juan Pablo Montoya.
Back of the cereal talks about driver's racing memory, word search puzzle, and opportunity to win ultimate racing experience.

Kellogg's would have another foray the following year with Dario and Juan gracing cover of cereal box and Scott on two flavors of Pop Tarts. Franchitti on cover of Frosted Mini Wheats.
Montoya on Frosted Flakes.
Dixon on frosted strawberry and brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tarts.
Back of each box featured a track you can put together\

Put it together it looks like this
The last box is Texas-based grocery chain HEB exclusive
Commemorating Tim Duncan's legendary 19 year career they put out his cereal just as 2016-17 NBA season started. It was sold in HEB stores around central Texas especially San Antonio and Austin. The back mention all of his career highlights. I know I went through many boxes of it and kept some of empty boxes that end being lost in a move. This is only box I have full of cereal.

This is my small cereal box collection. I'm sure few collectors have boxes Wheaties with Michael Jordan on it or Flutie-Os lying around.

4 comments:

  1. It's too bad they didn't actually print cards on the back of these, but very cool that you have all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there were MLS cards on back of Post cereal last year

      Delete
  2. I have all three Vrooms boxes but never saw the others. Would have bought them if I did. I did hear about the Duncan box but being from NY State I had no chance to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Duncan cereal box is awesome! I used to be into collecting cereal boxes. Had a few Wheaties... like a Lakers box and a few different Jordans. I think the only ones I have left are a Green Bay Packers box and one with Gwynn.

    ReplyDelete