Tuesday, June 17, 2014

RIP Tony Gwynn - My Memories of Him

It was day of sadness yesterday for baseball fans. One of greatest hitters to play Mr. Padre Tony Gwynn died. He spent his entire career with San Diego Padres with long list of credentials of multi-time All-Star, gold glove winner, leading the league in hits and batting average, and a Hall of Fame selection. Never got a chance to watch him play live, but I got a chance to watch get honored.

The date was August 31, 2002. MLB and players were on verge of striking til they able struck a deal at last minute to avert the strike. I was in San Diego for a wedding. Relief they didn't strike I decide catch a game when they playing at Qualcomm Stadium. It was free hat night and starting pitchers was Clay Condrey, making his first career ML start, and Aaron Cook. Little did I know before the game the team honored Tony Gwynn into team Hall of Fame. It was great night to watch him get honored by the team.

Took few photos of it with early Sony Cybershot digital camera in digital zoom form. This was way before I knew difference between optical and digital zoom.






 RIP Tony Gwynn. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment